I carry with me a small hardcover moleskine notebook. I use it to write down lots of things to do, memos, but memorable phrases and quotes I read in books, I hear, things that catch my attention. Below are some of these quotes:
- Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again. Beautiful words spoken by a fictional character. Captain Jean-Luc Piccard of the Starship Enterprise in the ST:TNG “Inner Light” Episode.
- Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might. Ecclesiastes, chapter 9, verse 10.
- There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics. So said Lord Benjamin Disraeli.
- Louis, I think this is the beginning of a very beautiful friendship. What can be said about the best line of all times in the movies. These are the words of Rick (Humphrey Bogart) to the French Gendarmerie Lieutenant, Louis Renault at the end of Casablanca.
- For life is a dream, a little less inconstant.
- We celebrate the past to awaken the future. By then Senator John F. Kennedy on August 14, 1960 on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of the signing of the social security bill.
- For it is the greatest truth of our age: Information is not knowledge.From the novel Killing Time by Caleb Carr, author of the Alienist and Angel of Darkness.
- It is only with the heart that one can see rightly. By Antoine de Saint-Exypery. I read this quote on the airplane magazine aboard a Lufthansa flight from Athens to Warsaw, Poland.
- Mrs. Clifton, I believe you still have my book. Ahh, The English Patient, by Anthony Minghella. One of my favorite movies. Ralph Fienes and Christin Scot Thomas light up the screen.